THE BABY STORE - Poem


THE BABY STORE

(copyright 2013, by Dave Kiffer)

 

I don't remember the time

before my birth, it might

as well be Ming Dynasty

for all I know, those weeks

in the amniotic fluid as

distant as the day whales

first stepped into the sea

 

But when my son was small

He told us a beautiful story

Of his time in “the baby store”

And Portia and Acrobat,

Fellow inmates in the pre-life,

And playing games and waiting

To be born into the world

Now, he just laughs when

We remember the story

Insisting it was just a joke

Formed by his three year old

Creativeness, an etch-a -sketch

He is now old enough to shake,

but we think different

 

The other day, he pondered

reincarnation saying “I would

Not like to remember if I

Came back as something

That wasn’t a human”

The idea clearly conflicting

In his nascent Catholic mind

 

And I think of the simpler Liam

The mind that could still hold

All the honest possibilities

And I think of Portia, Acrobat,

The shining baby store aisles

And Pre-Liam remembering,

Still waiting to be born

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DR. Mustard History Story

OHASHI HISTORY STORY

KEtchikan Pilot Found Millionaire's Plane Crash in Boca de Quadra in early 1950s - History Story